Subject: [Leica] new member
From: pburphoto at gmail.com (Paolo Burlando)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:02:44 +0100

On Jan 10, 2011, at 1:23 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> I have not seen people posting pictures with copyright & their initials  in
> the center and each corner of their image. Five places!  And all about all
> do is surf the internet for great photography.
> Perhaps an insight was to why your images needs to be so intensely
> protected
> to this extant way beyond what any other photographers on the internet do?
> It just comes across as real odd.

You see, I'm so jealous of my images... kidding! A close friend of mine had
a bad experience with his picture posted on the web, so that I prefer to
take the "risk" of discouraging visitors like you, who don't like
watermarks.

> I'd spend about three seconds on a site
> like that.

If you don't spend time on my site you may not miss much, but if you do the
same on Magnum and VII websites (which use respectively 5 and 9 watermarks)
you miss a lot!

> As to your comment on @Ted its not all about opinions on photography an the
> LUG or anywhere. Photography has  its opinions  but there are also hard
> realities. When you listen to a photographer with so much acclaim and
> decades of  consistent work its not just another opinion. You give it a
> large benefit of the doubt assuming it was a fact not an opinion into
> proven
> otherwise. And after that still believe it. This is on the craft.
> As to opinions on the worth of certain photographers than those are
> opinions. Some more informed than others.

For sure there are some objective criteria that one can use to assess the
value of photographic work. I just meant that, if I don't like some
pictures, it does not mean that they are awful. I tend to respect the work
of other photographers. Again to make an example: while I like a lot
Cartier-Bresson, Erwitt, Bischof, Harvey, McCurry, I don't like Marlow,
Parr, Burnett. Should, hypothetically, Burnett criticize my work
(hypothetically submitted to the WPP2011), I'll filter this criticism to
remove any prejudice of a certain modern way to take photograph against more
traditional photography, and I will retain the constructive part of the
criticism.

Have a good day

Paolo