Subject: [Leica] last Kodachrome
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:14:16 -0500

>From what I understand, there was a toxicity (and complexity) issue with
creating the chemicals--otherwise a company such as Fuji might have jumped
at the opportunity. With tiny (and ever-dwindling) I don't see this
changing.  Some things just require large infrastructure, film production
being one of them.  When I think of off-brand film producers, such as Efke
(which has gotten a lot better) and some Chinese b/w, I think of products
that are OK, but not really up to the standards of Kodak or Fuji.  With a
process as demanding as Kodachrome, the chances of a small company
replicating the process are diminished further.

Several years ago I saw a German video of the last Kodachrome movie film
processing done in Europe (Swiss plant).  I was really surprised of how much
operator judgment this required--it was a LOT more involved than
dump-in-chemicals-and-press-button (which is a good reason why E-6 took the
vast majority of the color transparency market.)

I fear that the operator knowledge will be lost forever, which will make
replication of the process in the future difficult if not impossible.  For
instance, I love vintage recordings (made before WWI).  The acoustic
recording techniques are known today, but modern attempts to replicate them
have not matched the quality of the originals.  The original operators
obviously knew certain tricks or tweaks, which have been lost to history.

Jim