Subject: [Leica] Squared
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:31:51 -0500

>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dlridings/sets/72157625906417789/
>>
>> All with a Rolleiflex that Phil Swango gave me, as long as I used it.
>>
>> Daniel

Daniel,

Every time I see your Rollei images it inspires me to use my TLR. Last
week I decided to document my homebrewing procedures. A friend
introduced me the world of home brewing a year ago. In some ways it's
like working in a darkroom, only instead of ending up with pictures you
end up with beer -- and with the right attention to detail (i.e. times
and temps) really good beer.

My film photos from last week's brewing session didn't turn out. I'd
like to blame old film and outdated developer. But really it was rusty
technique. If I go months without shooting film I seem to lose sight of
the small things that it takes to make decent film images. Shooting
digital doesn't keep my film processing skills sharp.

I have plenty of digital images, but they don't capture the essence of
the whole home brewing process -- which in my case is archaic. Just like
in photography, the process is more important than the equipment used.

Digital images like the one linked below are too sterile looking.
That's appropriate here, though, because the slants in the background
that I made for propagating yeast are indeed sterile. :-)

http://www.daverodgers.net/brewing/paleale.jpg

Keep the great TLR images coming. Again, they are an inspiration.
Shooting film always reminds me of just how much I've forgotten.

Dave R

Replies: Reply from daniel at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Squared)