Subject: [Leica] China Ballet 1976
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:54:01 +0800

HI Luggers,
In addition to touring Russian inspired heavy industry factories while
in China in 1976 I was also invited, many times, to see revolutionary
ballets and operas, mostly the Red Lantern, Taking Tiger Mountain by
Strategy, and the Red Detachment of Women. These works were overseen
by Madame Mao and they were the only public performances allowed. So
we got to see them over and over again until we were sick of them. The
tickets you received depended exactly on where you ranked in the VIP
list. In this set of photos, some taken in Shanghai and some in
Guangzhou, I was quite lucky because, although only middle ranking (a
First Secretary) I managed to score the second row - meaning there
were few real VIPs in the theatre the nights I was there. Having seen
the dances so many times it was easier to anticipate the action and no
one minded me taking pictures with my Pentax K2 and 85mm f1.8 lens on
high speed (!) Exta 160. No flash, of course.
So here are eight slides, some of them cropped because of the VIP head
in front of me. Please enjoy, look large and C& C always welcome.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/1976ChinaBallet/

Howard.

PS: 35 years on there is a lot of nostalgia for these works and there
have been several revivals in recent years. The communist messages
(class struggle, etc) that was so important in each play originally
has been subsumed by the memories of the "good old days".

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] China Ballet 1976)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] China Ballet 1976)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] China Ballet 1976)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] China Ballet 1976)