Subject: [Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Red735i)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:00:24 -0700

I don't think so.. it is the fact that you are POINTED at a different
place..... is what is making the image perspective different.....

Look at it this way... and this is a pretty anal analysis....way beyond
practical value probably....

If you had a corner of a building at the very periphery of your first image,
the angle along the side of the building would be different than if you
turned your camera towards the corner.  Therefore different perspective.  (
not sure I am defining perspective correctly here, but can not find or know
the right word to use...)

Another example is near / far relationships and the overlap of the 2.
Exapmle ( because word explanations escape me...>) ....
Look at an image that has a near object set against a far objective.  Look
at it head on.  Note the amount the near object causes the background to be
cut off.  Note the location.  Now turn your head away., and do the same
"measurement".... the part of the background that was overlapped by the
foreground object has changed.. and  the only thing you did was to rotate.

I think a similar problem is skies in panorama shots.... usually the sky
changes intensity of color as the pan occurs... ( or even with really WA
lenses in the corners.)....  Does the sky really have different colors?  No.
Corrections are used to correct for this... especially true in stitching
operations.....

Youngsters.. harrumph......

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

Hi Frank.
Is that still the case if I'm rotating on the len's nodal point? Seem not...
Thanks,
Bob (who is not old enough to remember the cameras you are referring to...
:-)  Bob Adler Palo Alto, CA http://www.rgaphoto.com

Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Red735i) ([Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens)
Message from rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens)