Subject: [Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Red735i)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:58:12 -0700

Ken's images are good examples of what happens when you pan.....
The nearby mountain is about square to the camera orientation.  You can see
the panning "distortion" in the way the mountain goes higher towards the
center of the frame and then back down again on the other side....

If you look at Circuit shots ( panorama from a swinging lens) of the fronts
of buildings, they actually appear to curve in front of you.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

Perhaps these images will help.  Here is a pan image made with a 25mm Zeiss
Distagon lens on a Contax 35mm body, Ektachrome VS.  It was mounted
vertically on a Kiwi pan head, adjusted so the lens rotated around its nodal
point.
http://www.kencarney.com/index.htm

Here is am image taken from the same spot with the same lens, but in
landscape position and just a single frame.
http://www.kencarney.com/Skies/00320091121.html

So my guess is no, the 80mm stitched image will not have the same
perspective as the 40mm, i.e., it will not have the "wide angle" look I
like.  I don't take many panoramas (those are really big prints), but I have
also used landscape orientation on a regular leveling tripod head and
stitched with Photoshop merge function, which seems to work fine.
Personally I would stick with the 40mm and perhaps a panorama made with that
lens.  Hope this is responsive.

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens)
Message from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens)