Subject: [Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:17:34 -0700

This topic is a lot more complex, the answers are
a lot more varied and in the end, almost
everything is possible.

First, you have to determine what type of 'panorama' you want.

You can produce a wide angle photo of basically three types:

Type 1: rectilinear, like a good wideangle lens
produces. What your 40 Distagon would produce, or
an Xpan produces.

Type 2: cylindrical, like what a Cirkut camera
produces or what a Noblex, Horizon, Widelux
(manufacturer: Panon) or Roundshot produces.

Type 3: Fisheye.

Each has advantages and limitations.

Type 1 cannot have a diagonal angle of view of
180?; in fact, as a one shot more than 125? is
difficult and you need lenses like the Hyergon to
achieve them.

Type 2 can have any horizontal angle of view you
want, including over 360? but not more than about
110 or 120 vertical.

Type 3 can show over 180? in any direction, and 360? around the
circumference.

But:

Type 1 starts showing distorted 3-dimensional
objects in the corners when you get over about
70? diagonal, and that gets quite severe when
you're over 100? diagonal.

Type 2 avoids the above, except for 3 dimensional
objects close to the zenith and nadir when the
vertical angle is over 70?, and horizontal lines
off the center get bowed.

Type 3 has varying magnification to get it's job
done, so rectilinear distortion is quite severe,
and the objects at the images's edges is often
too tiny to be of much use.

You can use Photoshop, or other more
sophisticated stitching programs such as RealViz
Stitcher to produce any of the above. You can
also stitch multiple frames in a pattern like 3
across and 3 down to get hi-res images from
lo-res cameras.

Another topic:

Using a proper pan setup becomes more important,
the closer you are to the closest part of you
scene, and finding the nodal point becomes more
important when there is a large difference in
close and far image points, and the closer you
are to the close point.

Finding the correct nodal point is quite simple,
and should not be taken from diagrams or
calculations as it's easier and more accurate to
do visually.

With an SLR or live view camera, it's easier still.

Set your camera up so that the lens axis is over
the rotational axis of your pan head. Aim your
camera at a thin stick that is about 2 feet in
front of your camera, and that has a scene behind
it. Rotate your camera so that the stick is at
the left side of your field of view. Note where
the stick is in relation to the background
scenery. Now rotate the camera so that the stick
is near the right edge of your field of view. If
the vertical rotation axis is through the nodal
point of the lens, the stick will not have
shifted with respect to the background. If it has
shifted, move the lens backward or forward over
the rotation axis until the image does not shift
with respect to the background. That's it. Note
the numbers, or make a scratch, or whatever as
that position for the lens is the correct one.
Calibrate the setup for each lens you will want
to use. If you insist on using a zoom lens,
calibrate at each focal length you want to use,
as the nodal point will shift, often drastically.

As you might guess, I'm very interested in this
and have, besides my 8 lenses for Leica that are
21mm and wider, the Xpan with 30mm, Horizon 202,
Noblex 150U, Roundshot 220/28, a lot of shift
lenses and fishey lenses, Hasselblad SWC, a
couple of CamboWide cameras and quite a number of
large format lenses that cover between 100 and
125?.

In any case, Bob, you can use whatever lens you
want to stitch. If you want a given angle of
view, using longer lenses will mean more
exposures to capture every part of the solid
angle, will mean more chances of mistakes (like
forgetting a certain part of the mosaic), more
chance that something in the scene will change
while you do your series and will give you a
larger file in the end with more detail. For your
purposes, I'd suggest you go for 3-5 shot
panoramics if you are going to stitch them all
horizontally, and go for a 'flat' stitching or
'cylindrical', and go for a 2x2 or max 3x3 if you
are going to stitch them in multiple rows and
colums, and do all of this with the widest lens
you are taking. And practice beforehand. :-)