Subject: [Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:34:57 -0500

On 4/18/2011 1:38 PM, Bob Adler wrote:
> I am trying to understand if I can take a wide angle photo using
> panning/stitching with a normal lens that would look like it was taken
> with a WA
> lens. My specific question is if I can get the same coverage and
> perspective
> using an 80mm Hassy lens and panning/stitching 3 or 4 overlapping shot as I
> could with the 40mm Hassy.
>
> If so how would this best be accomplished? Standing back further with the
> 80
> than with the 40 or just at the same spot with the panning. Would the
> image's
> perspective be the same?
>
> Thanks to all who can help,
> Bob
>   Bob Adler
> Palo Alto, CA
> http://www.rgaphoto.com

Bob,

Perhaps these images will help.  Here is a pan image made with a 25mm
Zeiss Distagon lens on a Contax 35mm body, Ektachrome VS.  It was
mounted vertically on a Kiwi pan head, adjusted so the lens rotated
around its nodal point.
http://www.kencarney.com/index.htm

Here is am image taken from the same spot with the same lens, but in
landscape position and just a single frame.
http://www.kencarney.com/Skies/00320091121.html

So my guess is no, the 80mm stitched image will not have the same
perspective as the 40mm, i.e., it will not have the "wide angle" look I
like.  I don't take many panoramas (those are really big prints), but I
have also used landscape orientation on a regular leveling tripod head
and stitched with Photoshop merge function, which seems to work fine.
Personally I would stick with the 40mm and perhaps a panorama made with
that lens.  Hope this is responsive.

Ken

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Red735i) ([Leica] OT: Technical Question- Panning vs WA Lens)