Subject: [Leica] Photographer Deaths in Libya
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:24:41 -0400

 Tina Manley wrote:

> But we would not know about these casualties without the reporting of those
> who put their lives in danger to tell us.

And we (all of us who go to war with our bags of photography gear) would
have nothing to report without those who go to risk their lives in the
combat we see through our viewfinders.

What wags first? The tail or the dog?

More great reporting here (I admit I'm high on C.J. Chivers, the guy is the
real deal):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/world/africa/21rebels.html?ref=todayspaper
&gwh=040126948FBC30082DA4C0885C24D670

Seems like a Domke with a Leica, a Canon, a few lenses and a laptop with
satellite link-up is worth 10-20x what an actual Libyan combatant has in his
holster this week.

Food for thought.

Emanuel

P.S. I do not believe war photography is getting more dangerous. It was ever
thus. Mathew Brady survived the battlefield, died miserably in the peace.

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Photographer Deaths in Libya)