Subject: [Leica] Leica Japan stories
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 20:55:40 -0400

It's all about communication.

That's a two way street.

You have no control over the other side of the street.

How are you doing on your side of the street?

I recall something from my youth working in a Montreal caf?/bakery place
downtown.

We always knew Americans because they ordered sandwiches of Brie cheese with
Dijon mustard on croissant. What an abominable laugh! Disgusting!

Yet we tried to excuse them (after collapsing in the back room on the floor)
because we understood that those three words, together with Merci and
Bonjour were the total extent of their French language. In a French-speading
society!

Try navigating the USA with just Montery Jack, ketchup, bun, thank you and
hello as your ONLY English words.

Why go into a Japanese Leica shop to ask if the salesman speaks English? Is
that why you entered the store? To conduct a language survey?

Why ask if he has a certain lens? Are you doing a stock survey?

Ask for/say what you want. See what happens.

Phony manners don't work because...they are phony. Clear, direct speech is
best when one is severely language-impaired.

Emanuel

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Leica Japan stories)