Subject: [Leica] Flowers and Shadows
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 18:36:31 -0500

Hi Ted,

You have covered all the bases with your questions.  It comes back to
knowing your subject.  With White Rhody blooms, there is normally a brighter
yellow area on the top petal, perhaps to draw bees, I'm not sure of this.
I'm no botanist, but the projecting parts of the bloom are arranged to give
the pollen the best chance of doing  its job.

It's been a year since I have seen a bloom, and I forgot some of these
details.  After I posted the original image, something in the back of my
mind said hey, that's not right, but I moved on.  The sun in our lattitudes
is to the south of us, and it was a little past noon, so I knew where the
shadows should fall.  But, and here is my downfall, I LIKED THE IMAGE THE
WAY I FIRST POSTED IT!!

Wiliam, to his credit, recognized these details, and he was correct.  I
appreciate his feedback.  Hence, in the interest of openness, I put things
right.

However, I still like the image better the way I originally posted it.

I will post the original alongside the corrected image, so you can decide
for yourself which is better.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Flowers+and+Shadows+Original+Posting.jpg.html

Thanks for your interest.

Jim Nichols