Subject: [Leica] 100 year anniversary of 120 film (Care & feeding of '29 Original)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 14:50:16 -0400

I love Brownie film.
And that is my understanding of what medium format film is called in Japan.
So if I was listening to Japanese photographers talk to each other that
would be the word I'd be able to pick out.
What I'd like to know is is 120 film and 6x6 the first such film made? As in
with the paper backing and spool configuration.

The irony on the "Brownie" term is that many people here think of medium
format film as Hasselblad film. What goes in a  Hasselblad.  Which is the
exact other end of the spectrum as people think of such cameras as the
epitome of high end ness. While a brownie being the epitome of low end ness.
So there is some irony there. Perhaps intended.

My very first camera as a kid was a Brownie Starlet which used film on a
spool with a paper backing but as it turned out was a scaled down version of
120 6x6 film.  It was 127 film and was 4x4 cm's!
It took me awhile to figure out looking back that I started out shooting
squares. As I think the shooting of squares has been a very big deal in my
photo history much of my best work. And I took to it like a duck to water
with my first Rolleiflex in 1975 right out of school.
 I'd like to be shooting some squares today!
The Starlet was made both in Rochester and in Paris France.

I took this picture with it from the top of the Empire State Building in the
rain when I was nine in 1960, my first roll of film ever. Roll #1.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/New+York+Cityx.jpg.html

But my first camera  in around 1958 when I was 10-12 yrs old: (1960-2) was a
Brownie Starlet which shot a mini 120 film called 127.
http://www.ken.lyndrup.dk/Engelsk/Kodak/Brownie%20Stralet%20Camera%20E.htm
http://www.geh.org/fm/brownie/htmlsrc/mE13000055_ful.html#topofimage
http://www.vieilalbum.com/BrownieStarletFR.htm
Manufactured : 1957-62 Lens : Dakon Shutter : Rotary
IMAGE SIZE: 1-5/8 x 1-5/8in.
(4.1275 inches according to the internet)
((.1275 inch = 3.2385 millimeters))
ORIGINAL LIST PRICE: $5.95
Film Size : 127
Negative Size : 4x4 cm