Subject: [Leica] Selling like Hotcakes....?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:07:52 +0100

Leitz used to publish their production quantities but Leica Camera does not.
Pre Solms there are the following:-
Leitz M6 about 30,000 (production continued by Leica Camera)
M4P 22,444
M4-2 16,100 (+100 gold plated...)
M5 33,900
M4 59,000
M2 85,000
MP 449
M3 226,178

Interestingly the M3 sold about as much as the rest put together - so much
for the myth that the M2 viewfinder was preferred, it carried over because
it was -much- cheaper to make...
To put these figures into perspective Canon sell about 250,000 digital rebel
SLRs per month.
FWIW,
Frank