Subject: [Leica] 35mm Summicron R lens - good , bad, so so?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:49:23 -0500

On Jun 21, 2011, at 9:16 PM, Marty Deveney wrote:

> This points out something interesting: the 35/2 R lens is optimised
> for contrast at 5 lp/mm - you can see this clearly from the MTF
> charts.  Its resolution of finer details is relatively poor.  If you
> are looking for a lot of fine detail resolution, as you might if using
> slow colour slide film, this probably isn't the lens for you, despite
> the excellent colour rendition.  It works incredibly well with 400
> speed B&W neg films.  I haven't used it on a DMR or any other digital
> cameras.

You're quite correct about fine detail rendering Marty;
it's no 100 mm apo macro elmarit.

One real charm of my
Leitz Wetzlar 35 mm Summicron-R (28199XX)
rests in its ability to focus slightly under 12"
as seen here
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/imagist/visualize/L1140020.jpg.html>
Its rendering is very kind to "people"
with very smooth bokeh.

(I have no idea what version this is - or whether its Mandler -
can anyone inform me?)

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com