Subject: [Leica] Noctilux versions AND LENS SHADES !!!! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:05:55 -0700

Mark Rabiner offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux versions

"And you can just use as Ted does, no shade."

Hi Mark,
You remembered after all these years! :-)

STORY OF THE NOCTI LENS SHADE!"

"Once upon a time long long ago a Leica Noctilux found it's way to Canada as
the first born and first arrival."
I was encouraged and cajoled by Leica Canada-Toronto staff members who were
my friends at the time, long long ago? ;-)

I could have this amazing most fantastic lens and be the first super
available light photographer in Canada to own and use one! That is if I
purchased it immediately! So in my complete incompetent understandings of
money in those days, I bought it immediately!

I must add.... "She who must be obeyed" was not a happy camper about the
cost and I was warned I may not find any food on the table at supper time
for several months!" :-(  Fortunately she got over it due to the next
assignment which paid rather handsomely and I was once again out of debt for
a few months. :-)

However after travelling the world with me for a number of years, actually
up to 1980 when one of the pins imbedded in the lens fell out leaving the
lens shade useless. I in my complete believing in Leica and service sent
lens for new pin. Approval of cost estimate arrived a week later!!!!
COST???????? Beyond your wildest imagination! I immediately asked for the
lens and useless shade to be immediately....... "RETURNED UNTOUCHED"  Heck
the amount they wanted I could buy three bottles or more of a very fine
single malt scotch! Like folks after all, one must always keep your
priorities in order! :-)

So since 1980 the Noctilux has been used during a few more assignments
abroad and many here in North America! The lens shade? I think it may still
be around here some place? But if a piece of gear becomes useless throw it
away, move on and get over it!

Any problems shooting without a shade?
Nope not that I can see nor ever noticed at anytime from wide open much of
the time to the odd occasion stopped down a tad. Glass? Pristine clean as a
whistle even after all these years with or without a shade. Do I walk about
with great concern because there isn't a shade?

Nope never give it a thought! WHY? Quite simply if you are thinking about
some dinky little thing like a missing lens shade .... "YOU ARE GOING TO
MISS THE PEAK PICTURE MOMENT!" You can't think and shoot!

It's called .... "KISS!" :-) Or?  Get on with your life as a photographer
and don't worry about all the techie stuff! :-)
So endth the stories for today! :-) Let's move on and shoot some happy
snaps! :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Noctilux versions AND LENS SHADES !!!! :-))