Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 48, Issue 204
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:18:13 -0700

Hi Peter.  I bought the D7000 in November and have loved it.  It was
replacing a Canon XTi.  As you have noted, the viewfinder is not as good as
a D700, but it is way better than all the other cropped cameras I have seen,
except maybe the Canon 7D (equal).  I have converted a few Leica R lenses to
Nikon mount and they work well. My biggest concern was the viewfinder of my
old Rebel, but the D7000 viewfinder is very usable for my 61 year old eyes.

I opted for it rather than the D700 mainly for size and weight.  I have no
doubt that the D700 is a better body, but it was not that much better that
size/weight did not win out hand down with the D7000.  I can easily get
usable photos at ISO 1600.  Not needed to go any higher yet, so I am not
sure about 3200.  Easy button placement compared to my Rebel.   If you are
really into telephoto shots (don't think you are), then the crop factor
helps a lot.  Less weighty lenses and less expensive lenses, and using the
"sweet spot" of the sensor.  Wide angle is another issue, but solvable.  I
did not have any real wide Leica glass, so I have opted for Nikon glass to
get me wide.

I think Marty sums it up nicely.  Personal choice based on the advantages of
each for your shooting style.  Quality, I don't think you can go wrong with
either.

Aram

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 48, Issue 204)