Subject: [Leica] Brian's Presentation
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:16:45 -0400

Doug I have done almost no spraying in that sense. Holding the button down.
I've always like to pick my moments. Though sometimes I'll do several very
fast exposures its me always making them.  My index figure I guess can
twitch fast. I'm not just holding the button down. If that's all spray and
pray means than I'm not at odds with it but I think when the idiom is used
they are most often also talking about shooters who just make a ton of shots
in a given situation. In other words pros. Or very serious shooters. I'm
sure like yourself.
Never have I ever heard a photographer come back from a shoot and look at
the take and go "I wish is shot less pictures". All I've ever seen and
experienced was " I wish I shot a few more".
"film is cheap" not really true but not a bad mindset to have taken.
I have shot next to people, like Sal, who are in a different league of
shooting than what I've been though in my professional lifetime. They are
doing stuff I'm maybe not doing.

They say the best dupe is a not dupe. Its a shot you took at the time. This
comes from making a lot of shots for a subject. - a burst would in effect
give you that. Back ups. If a slide or neg gets scratched maybe the one
taken a millisecond later would do. Maybe that's why those guys did that.

Mainly when the level of shooting goes up the dilatants get self righteous.
This has happened more with digital. We have more people playing with
cameras. They don't want to deal with it too much. So they try to put
serious shooters on the defensive. That's what I got from this.

I've really cant remember people holding the button down like that shooting
next to me. It might be un nerving. They have auto bracket now in all kinds
of modes.  I don't go there. I certainly shoot raw.
--
Mark R.