Subject: [Leica] A bit of a retrospective
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 08:32:51 -0700

Steve Unsworth offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] A bit of a retrospective

>>Ted, thanks for taking the time to look at them. I've now added a few
>>more.

There are a couple I'm not as happy about as the others, but editing is
always something I found difficult. I guess if I'm not sure about them they
deserve to be deleted.<<<<<<<
============
Hi Steve,
As you and the rest of the crew know.... "We are our own worst editors!"
It's a constant dilemma over the years as the shooter has far more
involvement than just shooting the image.. "getting there, the emotion level
at the time, the light and many other factors determining a choice on the
light table or computer screen!"

I tried to work on the feelings of.... "If in doubt.... OUT!" and the shot
wasn't used. Just put aside. Sometimes a tough call when the image has a
high level of emotion attached at the moment of exposure! But you can go
back for a second look as a good measure just in case.

When Sandy Carter worked with me she was a ruthless editor always on my case
about quality of images! Her usual knife cutting comment?  " Do you mean to
tell me that is one of your all time very best 10 photographs?" Sounds
simple, right?

Actually, I think I feared the tone in her voice more, because sometimes it
was like a rusty old razor blade being slowly dragged across your throat!
:-) Oh we had some great "too & froes" verbally.:-)  But she always won as
"she didn't have shooting the image emotions attached to the shot!" She was
just a superlative editor looking at a photograph and delivering her vicious
C&C to make me keep a high level of the photos expected of me.

My wife is similar in editing. But then she has 61 years experience since
the beginning when she gave me my first camera as a birthday gift May 27,
1950! And watching me grow as a photographer, the heart breaks and glories.
Her perspective is similar to Sandy's. Trust me you don't want to have the
two of them at the light table at the same time when they are agreeing with
each other!!!! :-)  ME? I was on the floor cringing like whupped dog! ;-)

Yes and sometimes I won. Rarely! :-)

So Steve, the quiet "If in doubt, out" system usually works fairly well! :-)

But yer lookin' good so far! Please keep them coming because these
days?????? The best work comes from the past!

cheers,
ted

Steve