Subject: [Leica] The monster in the garden
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:49:53 -0700

Yesterday I noticed a praying mantis in the rabbit bush outside our front
door. The bush is incredibly fragrant with a spicy aroma that I liken to
breathing honey. There are many insects.

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/19661621_MzfRzd#1542031521_fCqGqB4>

These were taken with the Canon 1Ds Mk II and Leica 100 APO. Mostly wide
open although you'll see a stopped-down image where I tried to widen the
depth of field a bit.

I am amazed at the variety of these mantises. There are many around the
house this year. Perhaps they like all the native plants. Only Thursday
morning I had to move a small one from inside to the outside because someone
was being freaked out a bit. That one was mostly brown and entirely
different wing-covers.

Although I worked with these images inside Lightroom they are as close as
possible to the original colors. Nothing has been altered in the nature of
the insect or the bush on which it is found.

Your comments/suggestions/critique are welcome and invited.

Adam

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] The monster in the garden)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] The monster in the garden)
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] The monster in the garden)