Subject: [Leica] FF Combine Flowers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 01:15:46 -0400

I was walking along the sidewalk minding my own business when I came upon
this sidewalk flower box I'd not seen and looking pretty good. It was in the
dead of night as usual. 11:59 PM! I could not make a thing like that up!
I was travelling light with my 18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikkor on my D40x.
I snapped the shutter and on the back of the camera in the little window
thing where you look at the pictures I saw orange mush. Mush I tell you!
It was orange and blurry. And I'm often ok with orange blurry pix but this
one wall chock filled with detail that were were obviously not seeing.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/fridayflowers/111011_235940.jpg.h
tml
Or
http://tinyurl.com/3uf8995
Click on it you'll see. All that little detail? Its NOT THERE!
So I popped up my Twinkie light and snapped another one on the theory that
all the detail it would record I could sneak into the other picture making
it just sharp enough. Wow was the flash shot boring and flat and tunnel
effect ( which I balanced out) and blue.
As you can see here  though I balanced out a few things.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/fridayflowers/111011_235945f.jpg.
html
Or
http://tinyurl.com/6ctrwgl

So I selected those two shots and went into the Bridge  Tools/ load files
into photoshops layers -   Photoshop menu. And it did that. Into a new file.
Then I selected both layers  of the new file it just made and hit the "align
layers" thing and it did that I think perfectly.
Then I faded the flash picture layer so I did what I wanted it to do when I
took the picture in the first place. Just supply some needed detail to the
non flash shot.
In this case it was around 33 percent of the flash shot flash.
Then I saved it as a jpeg and you're looking at it now.
Perhaps the best of both worlds. With funny edges.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/fridayflowers/111011_235945.jpg.h
tml
Or
http://tinyurl.com/3mddmfn

I'm going to call this a Rabstergram and its ok if you do it yourself but
I'd just like a phone call or a nice note in the mail. Written with a
fountain pen.

--
Mark R.

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] FF Combine Flowers)