Subject: [Leica] Trip to Kenya
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:45:42 +0800

Roger,
Jayanand has already answered in detail about his equipment which he
used to great effect.
In answer to your general questions:
1. Bring as long a telephoto as you can afford, carry. I used the GH2
and the 100 - 300, as did Henning - equivalent to 600mm in FF.
2.I was also worried about charging batteries, especially in those
camps with generators and limited hours of electricity, but in
practice it wasn't a problem
I carried an extra extension cord to plug in multiple chargers but I
never used it.
3. When we flew we carried the camera equipment and the rest of our
luggage came along in the jeeps so baggage constraints were not a
problem for us.
4. I took my Macbook and downloaded images every day - sometimes twice
a day - we shot 10,000 pictures between my wife and myself. I had one
SD card
fail and just put it away for later surgery - take lots of cards.
5. Don't forget your various shots, yellow fever, etc and make sure
you have your malaria pills as well as DEET based mosquito repellent
(which I never used - but you never know)
6. It will be dusty. Have a blower and cleaning cloths - wipes etc.
Don't change lenses in the field if you can possibly avoid it. I went
out with the 100 - 300 on one GH2 and the 14 - 140 on my back up GF 1
and never changed lenses. My wife kept the 45 - 200 on her GH2. We
never had a dust problem.
7. Don't worry too much about the colour of your clothes. We bought
muted safari colours in greens and browns and that really wasn't
necessary.
Good luck. We look forward to seeing the results.
Howard

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Trip to Kenya)
Reply from rhart76 at gmail.com (Roger Hart) ([Leica] Trip to Kenya)