Subject: [Leica] Can't We Contribute to to Public Service?
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:43:28 -0500

Hi George,

My late father-in-law supported his family in the 1930s and 1940s as a
professional photographer, and was the influence that got me interested in
photography.  I recognize that it has always been a difficult way to grow
wealthy, except for those with exceptional talent or great connections.  My
wife still recalls that her Dad had to go to the bank in the Fall to get a
loan to buy supplies for the Christmas season, where he found a lot of his
business.  Then, it was up to him to see that he got paid, so he could repay
the loan.  She has few pictures of her own Christmas mornings, because he
was out taking photos for other families. His studio portraits were
beautiful, using a split-back 5x7 studio camera, photo-floods, and a Packard
shutter, and hand retouching of the black and white sheet film negatives.

With this background, I feel the hurt that those of you needing to make a
profit must feel in today's market.

Although I have had one or two images published over the years, this was
always in connection with some civic organization of which I happened to be
a member, and I have never sold an image.  For me, I get pleasure from the
kind words of friends when they see my work.  I don't think that the few
images that I contribute will destroy the market for the work of those like
you who have a real product for sale.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA