Subject: [Leica] Can't We Contribute to to Public Service?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:34:53 -0500

On Oct 31, 2011, at 5:43 PM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols at lighttube.net> wrote:

>  I don't think that the few images that I contribute will destroy the
> market for the work of those like you who have a real product for sale.

I agree Jim. One individual with a kind and generous spirit will not
"destroy the market."

Yet 51 million users (on Flickr alone) displaying 6 billion (and growing)
images will have an effect. Getty buying any and all competition in the
stock area will have an effect on "stock."
Increasing numbers of skilled hobbyists, with good equipment, doing favors
for brides will have an effect. I could go on.

Not complaining; just observing the effects and causes in our new realities.

I've adjusted my business model (and retooled) at least a half dozen times
over my 45 year career. It has become quite tiresome; and in the current
economy (at my age) almost impossible. I do feel a bit of envy for your
father-in-law's era - when one set of tools, a touch of skill, and a good
business model could keep a family going for most of a lifetime.

I do have a nice Ansco portrait camera with stand if you'd like a nostalgia
piece for the living room. ;-)

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Can't We Contribute to to Public Service?)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Can't We Contribute to to Public Service?)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Can't We Contribute to to Public Service?)