Subject: [Leica] A photo which costs more than a Cindy Sherman!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:13:52 -0800

Ken Carney OFFERED:
>>Henceforth, I will print only in editions of six.  So much yet to learn
>>about this business.<<<

Hi Ken,
A short Friday evening LUG quick scan of postings and I happened to notice
this "Fine ART Print photograph.?" :-) And your comment of price. :-)

On my webpage TEDGRANTPHOTO.COM  it is possible to see my photograph in
question ... I'm the only shooter in the world who took it! Canada's Prime
Minister Pierre Trudeau sliding down a banister stair case railing.  Simple
enough photo to say the least. M6, manual focus, film and be there sort of
moment! :-)

And only me, simply because I heard people laughing, turned around? AND
THERE HE WAS.... "CLICK!"

HOWEVER! Only 5 signed 16X20 prints have been sold. each at $1000.00 That
was it!

However recently the photograph has been considered in the world shaking
capitals of the world or wherever these things are done?

Considered: "The most ICONIC POLITICAL PHOTOGRAPH IN THE HISTORY OF CANADA!"
The price will increase immeasurably through the gallery handling my prints
for sale if requested?.

2# Next evaluation:
Considered: "The Second most, "ICONIC PHOTOGRAPH IN THE HISTORY OF CANADA."
I have no problem being second as I'm beat out by a photograph taken during
WW1 as the Canadian Army forces charged "VIMY RIDGE!"  How could one feel
bad about being second to a moment like that? Imagine the photographer with
whatever type camera and sheet film in the middle of that most horrendous
battle? ... It sure as hell wasn't a Leica!

But what has happened is........ "The value of my photograph of the Prime
Minister has increased immeasurably." Due to the evaluation counts. I didn't
know anything about it until advised recently!

The sale of prints has it's up's and downs, sometimes beyond our wildest
imaginations when we look at the photograph! The action of a known celebrity
or a quiet farm scene somwhere on the planet! ART PHOTOGRAPHY? It's judged
by the "ART COMMUNITIES OF THE WORLD!"  And most of us don't have a clue
what they think nor re-act to.

Re-action by another photographer? "Well hell all he's doing is sliding down
a banister! Get over it! Hell anybody could've shot that."

He's right. ;-)

But think about this in cameras of today?  Manual focus M6 in hand, hear
laughter? Quickly turn around, see subject, raise camera very quickly. FOCUS
and he is still moving toward you..... "CLICK! ' Second frame, focus
quickly, click.... (blow that shot!) Third try?.... Focus, shoot ... out of
focus get the hell out of the way, he's nearly on top of me!

It's nothing more than... "see-shoot!"  Not a techie thought in a
multi-milli second! And the Great Spirit on my shoulder and trigger
finger.... "CLICK!"   :-) Truth is? Heck I just got lucky! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted
Back to writing! It's coming along nicely. I may drop a line or two next
week? ;-)

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] A photo which costs more than a Cindy Sherman!)
Reply from rcmphoto at yahoo.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] A photo which costs more than a Cindy Sherman!)
Message from rgacpa at gmail.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] (OT) A photo which costs more than a Cindy Sherman!)