Subject: [Leica] Buy your new Leica lens now...
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:39:02 +0000

I took my M9 in for a service to free up the frame selector lever, which had
become sticky, and the rear dial which had become very high friction, as if
the ball bearings had fallen out. It came back after about a month with the
frame lever back to normal but the rear dial unchanged. The technician at
Leica London was embarrassed and offered to send it straight back to Solms,
but I was going away and wanted to use it.
At the end of summer I combined a delightful lunch with Howard and Esther
Cummer with taking my M9 back again. This time I got an email acknowledging
receipt at Solms. Then nothing for 5 weeks, when I emailed for an update.
The reply said the repair was complete and they were returning the camera to
London. After another couple of weeks I enquired again (I could walk from
Solms to London in 2 weeks) and was told that the London technician was not
happy with the repair and had sent it back to Solms.
Last week I had a phone call from somebody wanting to know if I was happy
with the repair, when I told him I didn't know since I hadn't seen the
camera for 2 months he said he would check up at Solms. He called back to
say the camera was the next on the bench of a repair technician. I look
forward to hearing more soon.

He said they are completely inundated with repair work.

Maybe the explosion in demand has either stripped some of the repair staff
into production. Maybe they are struggling to train new skilled workers.

Anyway, the lack of new lenses to buy is the least of -my- problems. I lack
my M9 to use. I have been without it for over 25% of 2011, and still
counting.

FD