Subject: [Leica] now x-ray damage
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:33:44 -0600

On 11/17/2011 5:53 PM, Marty Deveney wrote:
> Remember that the images Tina posted the link to are damage from a
> CTX-5000 or similar x-ray; a dual-beam scanner used to examine
> checked-in luggage.  You won't see this patterned type of damage
> caused by the kinds of scanners used on carry-on bags.  You will see
> increased base fog and some inconsistent density from the inside to
> the outside of the roll.
>
> Marty

I have a friend who is a film enthusiast.  I suggested that he buy his
film overseas, and send the exposed film back to himself by DHL or FedX
- hope that was right.  If not I will hear about it.  I remember talking
with Cole Weston about something like this - he was in France and felt
the need to get his 8x10 chromes developed quickly.  He found a shop in
Paris that quoted some outrageous price.  Cole said it was double what
he paid in CA, and the owner said yes, but you are not in CA, are you?
The place was a pit, with cigarette trays everywhere etc.  He said the
chromes were perfect, and the guy wouldn't charge him anything when he
picked them up.  Days long gone, I imagine.

Ken

Replies: Reply from csaganich at gmail.com (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] now x-ray damage)
Message from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] OT: lens shutters suck)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] OT: lens shutters suck)