Subject: [Leica] Leica lllF RD
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 14:06:15 -0600

Barry,

I started with a IIIa in 1952, and got a IIIf RD a few years ago.  From my
experience, the older Leicas are more rugged and need less service than the
Ms.

original Leica template.

For me, since I have to wear glasses, the rangefinder and viewfinder present
the only difficulty, and I live with that when I choose to use a
rangefinder.  I add rings of adhesive-backed black felt around the RF/VF,
and normally use a an add-on VF in the clip on top.

You might want to set the upper speed dial to 1/25 with the shutter wound,
then check the sound of each low speed.  If 1/2 and 1 second sound sluggish,
they can often be improved by exercising the shutter.

To me, the price you mention seems reasonable.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA