Subject: [Leica] Broken and Broke
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:20:57 -0800

Thanks all for your condolences. It's very nice to have "shoulders" to cry
on...
:-)
I just keep hearing Erma Kitt singing in my head, "Santa baby, leave a
Leica under the tree; for me...."

To answer some questions and very generous offers:

Jim, I probably could look around to trade the "pile-o-junk" in and, that
plus some cash, replace the body and lens, but I am SO compulsive about my
equipment, I would always have the thought in the back of my mind that one
of the pieces was off. It's really expensive having this frame of mind, but
it is what it is. Thanks for the out-of-the box suggestion though.

Philippe, thank you for the truly kind offer. I have a G1 and really
dislike it except in bright sunlight; IMO it's just too nasty at ISO's
higher than 400, and even at 400 barely passable. I could get the new G3,
but I hear it's not that much better per British Journal of Photography and
other sites. I'd rather save the money toward a better solution... But
again, a really big thank you!

Richard, I just won't go back. Still have all my processing equipment (for
BW), but I can't go back there...

Hi Steve. Yup. I'll be bringing a little less gear! Probably a good thing
:-) The back should be returned by mid January.

Herb, your stories are definitely a good reason to get an all risk policy.
I have talked to an insurance person in the past (Jack Fletcher who lives
in the area) and, as I do sell some prints and have a resale license, I
would have to get pro insurance which, not being a member of the APA or
such, is prohibitive (except of course at times like these!!). As this is
my first adoption by a cat, I had no idea they could figure out a way to
reach such heights. Very impressive actually...

Hi Montie. The cat still lives, though it used up 2 of its lives; one for
the body; one for the lens... And it's my daughter's cat, so keeping it
breathing is a BIG priority; even over photography!!

Hi Frank. I've noticed some "spots" on the sensor for quite awhile. They
would not clean off and looked more like streaks a couple of pixels wide
and 5 or 6 long. It hasn't bothered me as it's only showed up in skies and
the like and was easily cloned out (reminded me of the days of dust on
4x5!). On my last trip, however, it showed up right in the middle of the
main part of some images and was impossible to clone out without looking
cloned out. I sent the raw file to the dealer in NYC that I bought the back
from (Digital Transitions; very nice folks to deal with; I think Mark R.
was at their booth playing with their new Phase Schnieder lenses recently)
and they sent it to Phase. Phase said they needed to see the back; couldn't
tell from the files, so I sent the back in. They determined that the front
sensor filter was scratched in several places. At this point you can read
my answer to Jim about being compulsive...
As I clean my sensor after each major outing or when I notice stuff, it was
pretty obvious (after cleaning I always do full sky shots to find any
places I've missed; these would never come out...).

Santa baby, Summilux aspheric, in black, no crap, I'll wait up for you dear.
Think of all the shots I've missed,
Boy that cat has really got me pissed,
A 35 and and 50 too,
And I would be forever be holden to you.

Santa baby....

:-)

Again thanks everyone...
B&B Bob