Subject: [Leica] Looking at buying an M8
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 07:12:27 -0800

Jayanand OFFERED:

> Frank,
> Yes - but I bet you junked 99.9% of the clicks - in other words, most were
> not required, and a total waste - most of us do end up with 10 identical
> shots pretty often, don't we? Digital is not cheap, once you factor in the
> cost, in terms of hardware, software and time that you spend in post
> processing and digital printing as well. There are many reasons why I am
> exclusively using digital nowadays, but low cost is most definitely not
> one
> of them.<<<<<<<<

Hi  Jayanand,
May I make a small offering on digital VS film costs.
MASTERFILE Stock Agency in Toronto, Canada  with several offices about the
world.  Some of the top end photographers when stock was selling well and
they were all using film cameras were astounded when doing a complete switch
to all digital in their film cost savings in the first year.

Bill Brooks, I suppose the leader of the 50 photographers shooting for this
outfit saved........ $20,000 dollars in film and processing cost first year
changing to only digital. As it turned out their over all production of high
end images increased, they  shot more and different variations, yet their
over all costs went down.  He wasn't alone in this kind of saving.

Given my film costs during the "good old days?" Was always a cost many
people I shot assignments for whined about. But once going to digital and we
charge for computer time instead of film the whining has stopped.

In any event I'll take digital over film any day and my only complaint about
digital is.......... "It's 50 years too late!" :-) And I use M8 and love it!
Obviously I prefer M9's, but for now the M8's work just fine.

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)