Subject: [Leica] 68 LUG Yearbook Submissions Thus Far--I need you to eep Them Coming!
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard at sfr.fr)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:06:54 +0100 (CET)

I helped Alice edit hers yesterday, they should be in later today.
Project Hope tilted the balance for her too.

Another firend has already sent his, enticed by THE book we offered him last
year :-)

So that will be two lurkers I'll have induced to post this year :-)

Come on good folks, listen to good Uncle Ted, send them in; can Jim really
be kept busy by lenient lugggers on New Year's Eve?

Amiti?s de Mutz in Snow

Philippe

-----------
Jim Shulman wrote:

We were over 80 at this time last year.

Please, send in your images!  They can be shot with any camera (read: not
necessarily something from Wetzlar/Solms), any lens, so long as the images
were made during 2011 and are at least one meg in size, .jpg format.

We will have an introductory essay from Christopher Crawford, as well as
the annual essays from Brian Reid, LUG Saloon Keeper, and myself.

So far, quite a few lurkers have risen from the briny depths with great
stuff.  Please, I encourage more!

There?s never an obligation to buy the book, but it will close on Dec. 31st.

Best,

Jim

The LUG Yearbook
New not-very-revised instructions for 2011

(Last updated 25 May 2011)

Each year since 2006, the LUG has produced a yearbook of images.  These
images may or may not have been captured with Leica-branded equipment, but
they were all produced during the calendar year of the yearbook (which in
this case is anytime after January 1, 2011.)

Submission Instructions: Images must be sent to Jim Shulman at
jshulman at judgecrater.com before December 31st, 2011 for inclusion in the
yearbook.  *The images must be at least 1 meg. size, .jpg format. *  Smaller
images will likely not reproduce adequately.

There is a limit of TWO images per photographer.  Please attach the images
to an e-mail to Jim Shulman?DO NOT E-MAIL IMAGES TO THE LUG LIST!  The
submission should include your name (as you wish it to appear in the
yearbook), the titles of your images, and technical information
(camera/lens/film as applicable.)  Please submit all images and caption
information together in one email.

Please consider submitting images earlier, rather than later, in December.
This helps me avoid an onslaught of last-minute work.

All submissions will receive a confirmation e-mail, with a sample of the
caption.  If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail, then assume that
your image(s) have not been received!  Allow about a day or two for a reply
from the time of submission for the reply e-mail.

Some FAQs About the LUG Yearbook Project

*Do I have to be a professional photographer to submit images?*

NO!!!  Anyone can submit images, from rank amateurs to seasoned pros.

*What if my images aren?t good enough?  Will they be rejected?*

NO!!!  There?s no such thing as ?not good enough? for the LUG Yearbook.
All images are accepted as long as they meet the very basic standards of
size (one meg+ .jpg images.)  This is not a judged collection?it?s a
voluntary anthology of the LUG?s photographic efforts during the year.

*What if I don?t use a Leica for my submitted images?*

Don?t worry?the images you submit are more than welcome, so long as you?re
a supporter and enthusiast of the LUG.  Your editor joined the LUG before
he owned a Leica, and now shoots regularly with a large collection of Leica
and non-Leica equipment.  The important point is to just start.

*Give me technical details!*

If you insist. For best results, your JPEG file should be sRGB. No, make
that "For best results, your JPEG file should be submitted by the
deadline". If you are obsessive, then you might want to know sRGB, 300DPI.
The verso page full bleed is 2888 x 2475 and the recto page is 2271 x 1588
(which leaves room for a caption underneath).

*Can I use images that were featured on the LUG (or elsewhere?)*

YES!!  So long as the images were captured during 2011, they?re fair game
for the book.

*If I submit images, do I have to buy a copy of the book?*

Absolutely not!  Since this book is printed on demand, we have no minimum
order requirements for the book.  Moreover, the book will not go out of
print (so long as blurb.com exists in more or less its present
configuration.)  If you want to see previous yearbooks?or buy copies?you
can now.  Go to blurb.com and search for ?Leica?
?LUG?to see
existing yearbooks.

*Can my spouse/child/pet also submit images?*

Why not?  So long as the images are in the correct formation, and contain
their name, the image(s) title(s), and the camera/lens/film (if applicable)
used, that?s fine.

*I submitted images last year.  Will you automatically remind me to send
more this year?*

Unfortunately, I?m not that organized.  I sincerely hope you check the
e-mail (and digest) regularly for updates.

*Do you need help with the yearbook?*

Thanks, but I?m OK.  Blurb.com templates help simplify matters
considerably.

*When will the yearbook be produced?*

I close the yearbook at midnight on December 31st, and make it available
for purchase as soon as possible.  Last year ?as soon as possible? was
about 3AM on January 1st.

*How much does the yearbook cost?*

That depends on whether you purchase a hardcover or paperback version.  See
previous blurb.com LUG yearbooks, and you?ll get an idea.  The price of the
yearbook depends upon the page count.  There is a $5 surcharge for either
the paperback or hardcover version of the book, with all profit proceeds
going to Project H.O.M.E.  (www.projecthome.org )

*Can you supply more specific technical information for preparing my
submissions?*

If you want to be more technical, please visit the blurb.com website.  They
provide a wide array of technical information for more advanced
photographers/graphic artists.

*Will you produce the book in large format?*

The book will retain its format of the past five years.  I have made this
decision in the interests of economy (to make the book as affordable as
possible) and simplicity.  Depending on the page count, you may be able to
elect an upgrade in paper stock at an additional cost.

*Can I see examples from previous yearbooks?*

Yes. Here are the yearbooks for
2006,
2007 ,
2008,
2009 , and
2010.
You can look at the first 15 pages or so of each book online, or you can
buy a copy.