Subject: [Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 16:51:41 -0600

On Dec 26, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> All of a sudden after decades of any photographer I ever knew living and
> dying by Photoshop our image tweaking needs are minimal and all we mainly
> need is image editor. A digital contact sheet and grease pencil!
> And "Lightroom" is the perfect name for it its the opposite of darkroom.

Unfortunately, Mark, you continue to speak of and evaluate a tool
which you apparently have little to no experience with; that being Lightroom
3.6.

Anyone who HAS used the tool
knows that your critique of it rings so very hollow.

Most every serious photographer uses both
LR (or its equivalent - if there is one - I've not kept up with Aperture)
AND
PS
as appropriate to the job at hand.

When I've shot a hundred exposures
of a restaurant interior
and all the food they serve
I'm not about to open every exposure in PS to show the client.
Nor will I show the client unprocessed photographs.
I'll make my selections in LR
I'll tweak them very close to "finished" in LR
I'll export the proofs to the appropriate site from LR
and when the client has made their final selections
I'll "finish" the photographs in LR
unless something is required that is not available in that software
in which case I'll pop it open in PS
and do what ever is necessary.

Regards,
George Lottermoser