Subject: [Leica] photoshop-vs-lightroom
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:39:55 -0800

I really agree with Nathan. LR3 does far more than could be done in a
darkroom, especially the HSL panel, and that's good enough for me.
Normally, I crop, get the verticals/horizontals correct if necessary,
fix the color balance, spot if necessary, rarely use the dodging
brush or graduated filter. I have occasionally had to bring up dark
areas with fill light, which works wonderfully. I pretty
automatically throw in a minimal amount of "clarity" and "vibrance".
The final step is sharpening and, in the case of highest few ISO
values, noise reduction. In a few cases, I have obtained the effect
of extreme dodging by picking Luminance in HSL panel and by just
dragging on an area of the color of interest brightening or darkening
everything of that color. This is also a useful trick when converting
to black and white.

On one occasion, because I was too lazy to fire up my wife's PS
Elements, I removed two strands of barbed wire that were between me
and a donkey. Very clumsy and time-consuming in LR but did the job.
Because of the way LR spots, you have to make the spotting tool into
as wide a circle as the subject will permit and then remove the wire
in sections by dragging perpendicular to the wire, whereas in PS you
can simply drag along the wire in one step.

Herb