Subject: [Leica] Lightroom Catalog on External Drive
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 06:50:35 -0800

I am not so sure what you are debating.... is it the technical side of
USB2.0 vs 3.0?

While my system is a 6 month old PC and USB 2.0 ( no 3.0 when I bought it),
the system seems fast and images seem to appear pretty quickly.    Will it
work?  Sure.  Dependably? Sure.  Is 3.0 faster?  Sure.  I could always
retrofit the computer with the 3.0 capability ( I think, if there are
internal slots available and accessible, which in fact, they are not due to
my other choices.)

If speed is your question, it is not always a matter of faster drives....
processor speed and video speed also come into play.  Get an i7 processor
rather than an i3.  You can speed up your overall task by also beefing up
your video card.....  a cheap solution.

IOW, there is more than one way to skin that cat.

There are 2 important issues.... What is available when you purchase vs.
your budget; Your perception of "Fast" vs. your patience.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

I am looking into moving my Lightroom catalog to an external drive that I
can edit from multiple computers (both Win7 PCs). I'd be interested in any
real-world feedback from anyone else who's doing this. The drive is USB 3.0,
and both PCs have USB 3.0 ports, which in my informal testing is a big step
forward from USB 2.0, which is the reason I'm once again thinking about
this.

Replies: Reply from john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell) ([Leica] Lightroom Catalog on External Drive)
Message from john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell) ([Leica] Lightroom Catalog on External Drive)