Subject: [Leica] New M8 + cold fingers + nighttime = a tough first day
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:19:17 -0800

Ryan Scott Bardsley OFFERED:

Ryan me old son,

Lad yer making a fight out of it instead of having a wonderful love affair
with a beautiful camera. A joy to hold and play with! :-)

First thing wrong was taking it out on a cold winter night to play with in
the dark! Lad what were you thinking? You should have sat in the warmth of
your hotel, a comfy chair, music quietly playing, a glass of Lagavulin
single malt Scotch to enhance the moment and just played with the damn
thing! ;-)

You could have clicked every corner of the room, read the manual in a comfy
fashion and you wouldn't be having the "situations" you are. They're not
problems, they're just getting to know and learn the feelings and buttons to
push with a new mate!

Given it seems you've never used a Leica rangefinder nor any other
rangefinder, then you switch from an SLR? That's near giving you heart burn
without taking it nice and easy getting the feel and the focusing act down
pat. I've worn glasses for at least 30 years and have only one good eye to
see with in any event and it's a piece of cake focusing.... even in dark
areas.... always look for a highlight on the subject and that's your focus
point. A small highlight in a subjects eye, a reflection off a glass or any
item at your focus point, and its' a piece of cake. Hell even under ground
in a mine! ;-) Watch for a highlight and you can focus even with only one
eye! :-)

With the M8 you only need to set it up once and start clicking away and
every shot should be near as perfect as you can get. Don't keep fiddling
here and there because it's a Leica and only needs a one time fiddle to get
it going. Learn the feel of the camera in your hands, turning the focusing
will become as natural as breathing after you've played with it for a bit of
a time.

Shooting and looking at the screen, then start farting about re-setting
things you don't have a clue what they do nor what they're for will drive
you crazy. Like I said.... the crew here can help square you away setting
the camera the first time.... oh they'll let you come back a couple of
times. But trust me you better follow the plan or they can get really mean
and ugly on dark nights. ;-)

Then just go shoot a couple thousand photos..... obviously always have a
spare battery in yer pocket! WHY?  Well you just never know! And for heavens
sake lad.......... do a bunch in broad daylight and forget the night
affairs.  They come later when you really look like you know what yer doing
and offer:  "hey honey I can get you in the picture show! "  :-) :-) click
click! :-)

g'night,
Dr. ted