Subject: [Leica] New M8 + cold fingers + nighttime = a tough first day
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:20:25 -0500

I wear glasses and keep them on to focus.  It would be terrible to be
taking my glasses off and on every time I wanted to take a photo!  You will
get used to it.  You can get a soft eyepiece that will protect your glasses
from scratches but I've never had one.  My left eye glasses have scratches
all along the edge from my camera.

You can set the ISO on your M8.  I usually leave mine at 160 and use fast
lenses.  I take a lot of photos in the dark.  Sometimes it's easier to move
yourself than to fine-tune the focusing.  Just move your head back and
forth.

Rangefinder focusing is totally different from DSLR focusing.  The great
thing is that you can take as many photos as you need to to learn.  It's
much cheaper than learning with film!!  There is no such thing as Picture
Mode with the M8.  Just keep it on S for single shot or C for continuous.
 You can set Aperture or Shutter speed.  Shoot Raw and there is nothing
else to set.

Make it easy on yourself and practice with plenty of light.  Once you can
put the camera to your eye and get what you want, try less light.

Good luck and have fun!!

Tina