Subject: [Leica] Why we all should buy an Alpa :-)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 08:56:25 -0500

You're in a specialty, Doug, which I'm not in a position to argue with. My
get feeling tells me there are no lack of bird guys out there who are tripod
users but I know know that for sure.
More the the point is the point you brought up about the collar.
It's what's up top that counts and a lot of people are not happy with tripod
use becuae they never got a good tripod head. Never tried a good ball head.
And there is some such sophisticated gear such as levelers and Gimble heads
that people have not even heard of perhaps.  And collars, woof!
But the deal breaker; the big new thing is the ball head.
But there are so many interesting varieties with high tech designs and
materials from all kinds of high tech places.. Puts the camera in hour hands
to position it then you just tighten it down. That kind of spontaneity and
control was not even approached before.
I have to say one of the things I always wanted after a stint doing retail
fashion at a department store is a crank gear head.
They had a head where you turn gears to get it to go any direction.
Somebody makes a compact one now for taking it outside. Manfrotto I think.
That for me would be great for landscapes and cityscapes.
I love that precision. Its like turning your camera operation at least
direction wise into a Sinar P!!

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/