Subject: [Leica] Why we all should buy an Alpa :-)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:38:29 -0500

That's what everybody thinks Tina but I've had experience in just the
opposite direction. My camera on the tripod people totally ignore me. Its
like I'm a surveyor  or engineer or something. The very nature of hand held
photography lies in unobtrusiveness and I have found you walk in the room
with a camera and all eyes are on you. But if you are standing in the middle
of it with a camera on a tripod they could care less. Its like you're just
doing a job and not trying to put anything over on anybody.  NOT being at
all sneaky. I've been saying this for years as I've experienced it time and
time again. A tripod makes you invisible. You are a person at work not a
person sneaking around trying to fool people. People walk right up to you as
if you are in a glass booth and look right in the camera. You go lick they
shrug their shoulders and walk away. You've not stolen their soul.

A camera under an honest tripod planted firmly on the ground a makes you
invisible in plain sight.
Hand held photography makes you kid yourself into thinking you're not the
center of attention with all eyes really are on you. That's how I've
expensed it.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/