Subject: [Leica] 50mm .95 and be there try something longer!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 05:17:52 -0500

You're right about the high iso with digital on fast glass though not yet
with the M9.
And its not like its making the groundglass brighter and crisper.
Part of it is a progression of the Leica lens line that needs to not be
broken off:
The Noctilux is in its latest design. Its faster and bigger heavier and cost
more. I wonder if I'll ever see one?
I'd have used modern lens knowledge to make it smaller.
The size at least of the gorgeous f/1.2 lens with Aspherical surfaces that
introduced in 1966.
But I'd guess the marketing people would have made them hold on to the f1
speed. It is a nice round number.
They can put those ASPH's back into the lens and make it at least that
small.

The 75 1.4 should also be revamped.
Perhaps they will decide now it needs to be a 1.2 and not more compact but
cost ten grand and weight a ton.
That continued line of thinking would exclude my me.
Leica M9's or 10's need to be in the hands of a few more top photographers
and a few less billionaires.

However "fast" is their opportunity to go sky high like they did with the
Noctilux and the 1.4 ASPH's . One can't expect them to cool it with their
fast Lens option. After all the more it cost the more the billionaires want
it. Looks great on the mantel .

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/