Subject: [Leica] Help with Nocti
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 07:19:01 -0500

Someone could write a book on the Leica Noctilux and its history and design.
Erwin has written reams on them. The Noctilux  from its onset was quite an
original marvel set for paramiters not like other lenes at all. They are
designed for night shooting.  An off axis street light does not introduce
coma to the lens like it would on a Summicron or lux is what I think I
recall reading about it for one.  This is a big deal in such a lens I'm
willing to take their word for it It was a challenge for all concerned in
its designed and implementation. And is a real reason to have a Leica M
system with its focusing far more accurate than an SLR to be able to use
this lens better.  And for awhile it represented a unique spot in a price
range you'd pay for a lens for a 35mm camera. It cost three times more.
That fact that it focuses to 1000 millimeters instead of 700 millimeters
like most Leica M glass is probably for good reason. And  I imagine that
reason was that the designers didn't like what they saw at that distance and
to fix it would add too much additional cost and weight and size to the lens
so it was deemed that people shooting in dark alleys at midnight could shoot
the black cats on top of the garbage cans just as easily at 1000 milimers as
they could at 700. Then crop.
Its a special purpose lens which nicely enough can be used when the sun is
up as well. Just as along as  you'd not fret on what's going on in your
700mm to 999mm zone.
Looking at the Leica shooters on the Leica gallery I see few shots done in
that zone. And certainly not at night.
------

My first lens and the only lens I owned for several years was a 45mm 2.8
Nikkor G lens pancake.  It focused only to 3 feet. Same as my camera before
it a Voigtl?nder Vito BL.  I got a Tiffin close up kit for the Nikkor it
came with a #1, #2 and #3 in a little leather case. I tended to carry that
with me as I was taking art classes and in general needed to take a lot pix
in the close range.  They came out well enough I was too dumb to know the
difference. That was the early 70's. Most normal humans would have been
smart enough to just get a macro for it and keep that in their pocket
instead of the Dioptor kit.

I had a Dioptor I'd sue with my Voigtl?nder Vito BL despite the face that it
was a rangefinder or viewfinder camera. So carried a tape measure so I could
to close ups at its pre defined distance with the camera lens set at
infinity which is how you're supposed to use them. Which I think brought it
too two feet. But I sure looked funny with that tape measure. But I was 13
and in a state of camera geek bliss.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/