Subject: [Leica] D800/E
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 19:55:06 -0500

On Feb 07, 2012 at 04:33 PM -0600, grduprey at mchsi.com wrote:
>But my thing is, why do they charge extra to leave this filter out?
>Seems to me this would be a cost savings.  I would buy one if I could
>get most of my money in the D700 could be captured. ;)

I can think of two reasons.  One is that they expect to sell less of the
D800E sensors, so they make less of them and the unit cost is higher.

However, if you look at the 2nd image on the 3rd page of the dpreview
preview [1], you'll see that the D800E actually still has an AA filter.
However, instead of the second stage of the filter, they have a
'reversing' stage.  If that diagram represents the reality of the
technology (I make no claim to have 1st hand knowledge of this), then
the D800E *does* have a filter pack on the sensor, and it might even be
'new' technology, costing more in R&D.  Even if all that's true, the
first point might also be true as well.

And... they might feel like they can just charge more as well, just
because :D

[1]: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond800/page3.asp

Message from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] D800/E)