Subject: [Leica] Lens choice for Leica
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:44:57 -0800

My philosophy is normally try a lens out, and if it doesn't perform or if I
don't like it, I'd sell it. Over the years, I have kept the 35'lux ASPH, 50
'lux ASPH, 75 'lux from Leica and 85/2 and 25/2.8 ZM from Zeiss.

The only lens I ever re-bought is the 25/2.8. It turns out that 21 is just
too wide for me, unless it's panoramic. When I shoot with the 21, I just
keep cropping it down, so may as well just use the XPan.

My philosophy also always have been just buy (close to) the latest and
greatest, as I don't have enough time to shoot with the lens I have, let
alone chasing after different lens characters. Besides, even a 3 'lux lens
kit is still quite small, fitting all in a small messenger style bag. So I
never really thought about getting small lens for small lens sake, e.g.
Elmar, Summarit etc.

****
The Pera changed all that. They are so ridiculously tiny with the
performance reasonably well that I am wondering whether I should
investigate other small lens.

A small 50mm may be good to round out the choices, and I know there are
tons of options - collapsable Elmar, Heliar 50/3.5. I'm still not looking
for "characters" per se, so Summar is out since other choices are available.

So what's your favorite small 50?

***
The Pera 28 also shows how versatile the 28mm is. I am surprised how much I
like it - a bit wider than the 35 but not as wide as the 24/25. It could be
the "just right" FOV. The 28/2 'cron is stratospherically priced of course,
but I heard that it also has focus shift problem on the M9? Any real life
experience among the luggers?

--

Replies: Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Lens choice for Leica)
Reply from rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler) ([Leica] Lens choice for Leica)