Subject: [Leica] S2 vs. 645D (cars)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:35:55 -0800

With respect to small car/large car collisions, all is not what it seems.

When the Smart car came out, some tests were done in Germany by independent
testers (non-govenrment or auto industry). One test was a offset head on
collision at 60km/hr (both vehicles) between an S600 and a Smart car, ie,
the largest and smallest Mercedes products. Yes, the Smart car bounced away
from the impact a greater distance, but the dummies and their sensors didn't
sustain much different injuries. The safety performance of the Smart car was
as good or better than most vehicles of the time up to mid sized luxury
vehicles, and substantially better than that of virtually all SUVs or
trucks.

In any case, the occupants of the Smart car would have walked away from this
collision, whereas cars such as the Volvo 960 models would have been
shredded and their occupants unlikely to have walked again had they lived
(similar test parameters).

A heavier car (or truck) will have certain advantages in an accident, but
those advantages exist in real life only if the vehicle has been thoroughly
designed with safety in mind. American vehicles have been slower to get the
advantages of this design philosophy, and trucks even less so.

The safest vehicles in general tend to be luxury sedans.

Henning