Subject: [Leica] my first handheld panorama
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 21:56:58 +0800

> Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 07:40:56 +0100
> From: Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
> Subject: [Leica] IMG: my first handheld panorama
> To: lug Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> Inspired by all the people who post nice panoramas made without a tripod,
> I decided to try my luck the other day. This is a pano of 19 images made
> with the Fuji X100, handheld. The location is Salinas de Santa Pola, from
> where I recently posted another pano.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/belgiangator/panorama/20120306-pano_20120306.jpg.html
>
> I was pleasantly surprised with my ability to get stitchable (is that a
> verb?!) handheld, although I note the dark bands in the blue sky--I wonder
> if this is an artifact of less-than-perfect alignment. The tool is
> Photoshop CS3. Speaking of which, are there other panorama tools that work
> better than Photoshop?
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan

Hi Nathan,
I moved from CS2 to CS4 so never used CS3 and can't comment on its pano
controls. However, in CS4 (and now CS5) the following works for me.
File>Automate>photomerge. Check cylindrical layout, add open files, then
check at the bottom of the window 1. blend images together, 2. vignette
removal (this will get rid of the banding)
3. geometric distortion correct (if there are straight lines to be
corrected). Click Ok and go away and have a cup of coffee while the program
works. I just moved from CS4 to CS5  and the controls are the same for each
program although CS5 is more entertaining because it shows the intermediate
step on the screen before the final smoothing. Also, I assume you are
already taking the individual pictures in vertical format to add more ground
and sky to the pano.
Keep them coming - I really like them.
Cheers
Howard.