Subject: [Leica] Soft proofing in LR4
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:26:01 -0700

After seeing the tutorial on soft proofing, I was inspired to try it
out, with some strange results.

Let me start with my understanding of the tutorial and please correct
me if I misunderstood it. The situation is that the color range in
the picture is out of gamut for a particular printer profile.
Therefore, what gets printed will not match what has been seen in the
monitor using LR (of course, it's undoubtedly out of gamut on the
monitor also, so all we can say is that the print won't match what
was seen on the monitor, and presumably may not even after doing soft
proofing corrections). So, what can soft proofing do for me. As far
as I can tell, it allows me to choose which I think might look
better: getting areas in gamut by reducing saturation, or getting
them in gamut by modifying hue. Again, because the monitor profile is
not the same as the printing profile, I think one would actually have
to try printing both ways in order to decide.

Now, here is where I'm completely puzzled. It is the idea of applying
soft proofing to sRGB. I've calibrated my monitor with a Spyder. I
tried soft proofing on a flower picture. A gross reduction in
saturation was required before the "out of gamut" red flagging went
away. I saved the corrected and uncorrected versions as jpg and here
they are. Go figure!!

Straight export http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/As+is.jpg.html

Soft Proofed  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Soft+proofed.jpg.html
--