Subject: [Leica] Soft proofing in LR4
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:20:47 -0700

Richard,

Thanks for the response. I understand the notion that I put in a
profile for a given paper in a given printer, see on the monitor what
LR thinks the print will look like, and, if my monitor has been
calibrated, will approximate the appearance of the print.

What I do not understand is doing this for sRGB. My monitor can only
handle sRGB, at least sRGB is the recommendation for transmission to
the Web. So, when I'm working up a picture in the Develop Module of
LR, it's my blinkin monitor that is showing the picture. If my
monitor has been calibrated, that's the best it can do. If I turn on
soft proofing for sRGB, I can't see why that should make any change
in how that picture looks on my screen. To summmarize: soft proofing
for sRGB just doesn't make any sense to me.

Herb