Subject: [Leica] B&W Leica?
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 00:32:57 -0700

What Doug may be referring to this that every pixel has a filter on it. So
the luminance value is interpolated. See PhaseOne's

Achromatic+ for black & white photography

The process of reproducing original black and white prints is extremely
difficult with a full color process. The Achromatic+ back can reproduce
original black and white with extreme accuracy that requires little or no
post-production. The lack of filters on the sensor also provides the
advantage of higher resolution. To take advantage of the extra resolving
power, high-resolution lenses are required. Reproduction lenses are
typically higher resolution thereby allowing the Achromatic+ back to
provide the best quality possible. Improved optical performance can be
achieved with special spectrum illumination systems, which have been
developed for use with this imaging device.

***

We don't know if this sensor, if exists, behaves like Phase One's sensor,
but it's probably close as physics is physics