Subject: [Leica] Hello from William Carter
From: bywilliamcarter at gmail.com (William Carter)
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:38:38 -0400

Hello LUG:

William Carter here. By way of introduction, I've had a 50+-year
5-continents career as a photographer and author, shooting most of my
photos with Leicas. Been published in LIFE, the London Sunday Times,
Geographical Magazine and others.1966-69 freelanced from London, doing
assignments for New York Times, Women?s Wear Daily, and TWA?s Annual
Report, etc. I've authored 5 books of photographs and text including
Ghost Towns of the West, Middle West Country, Preservation Hall,
Illuminations (nudes), and my latest (came out last summer) published
by Steidl, Causes and Spirits.

A lot of my work is online at http://wcarter.us but I will be posting
on your gallery as well. I have a blog at
http://bywilliamcarter.wordpress.com where I use some of my work and
other graphic elements

My long closeup love affair with the Leica M-series began with an
equally passionate long-distance love affair with one of its most
famous users, Henri Cartier-Bresson.  (I tell the story of my
non-meeting with Henri in Causes and Spirits and in the occasional
readings at bookstores I have been doing.)  Most of that book was shot
with M-3's and M-2's; I still only have an M-4 with motor drive but
sadly don't use it; I am only shooting digital these days.  I have
twice visited the shrine/factory in Wetzlar/Solms, Germany.

I like the idea of the user group but am constitutionally not a group
sharer or communicator, or tech savvy, cannot get into those
exchanges, sorry about that. My current blogging has been on the
subject of tribalism, which I witnessed professionally worldwide as a
photographer/writer. Please see "Them vs. Us and Beyond" at
http://bywilliamcarter.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/them-vs-us-and-beyond/
The photo, which is on the cover of the current The Sun Magazine, is
of a Yemeni tribesman taken in 1964 while I was living in Beirut.

So do I belong to the Leica tribe?  Probably not.  I use my beat-up
cameras close up, I do not worship them from afar.

Best,

William Carter

Replies: Reply from grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com) ([Leica] Hello from William Carter)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Hello from William Carter)