Subject: [Leica] 75mm Summilux on M9
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:32:04 -0700

I love this lens. On film and on digital. Mine is adjusted to be accurate at
f/1.4, and I don't find it that hard to get the focus right on with either
M8 or 9. The Noctilux may be slightly more forgiving, but with it's longer
focus throw I find it slightly more problematic than the Summilux to focus.
The 90 Summicron also gave me more problems. I like that the 75's allow the
tightest framing of the Leica lenses, excepting the 90 macro.

I have both 75's as the focal lengths appeal more to me than the 90's most
of the time, and while the 75/2 is super sharp and has no focus shift, it
definitely is not as good for close portraits, as the Summilux is smoother
and not quite as 'crispy'.

By f/2 is already quite evenly sharp across the frame, and further stopped
down there's not a whole lot of difference between Summilux and Summicron
shots, except that ultimately the Summicron is always a bit better. That
last little bit rarely bothers me; usually there are other things which are
a lot more important.

It's a big lens in Leica M terms, but not so much if you're used to SLR's. I
don't find its size a problem. If you've lived with an early Summicron 90 it
seems small.

This lens often comes along with a 21 and 35 Summilux.

Henning