Subject: [Leica] Very O.T.: Apple Mail searchability
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:50:57 -0400

Peter,

3 suggestions in order of preference.

1/ Mail -> Mailbox -> Rebuild => This should rebuild Mail's mailbox indices.
This is the easiest/fastest option.

2/ Quit Mail. Open a Terminal window, type 'sudo mdutil -E' which will
discard the existing Spotlight indices and rebuild them all. This will ask
for your login password. May take a while depending on how much data you
have.

3/ There are also a bunch of suggestions here you can try.
<http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1212277> I haven't tried them
but none of them seems destructive.

By the way, when I want to replace the boot disk on my Mac, I use to clone
the disks using CarbonCopyCloner. Now, I just install Mac OS X on the new
disk and use Apple's migration tool to migrate the data.

Regards,
Spencer