Subject: [Leica] Very O.T.: Apple Mail searchability
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:45:58 -0400

Peter,

Two last (easy) thing to try before I would suggest resort to more drastic
measures.

1/ Create a new user account for yourself. Login into this new user account
and setup your email accounts via Mail.app. If you are using IMAP to talk to
your mail server, you should get a new copy of all your messages. Does
Spotlight search work?

2/ Download the Mac version of Thunderbird from mozilla.org
<http://www.mozilla.org/#feature-thunderbird> and set it up. I think it will
pick up your email account setting from Mail.app but if it doesn't, manually
setup your email accounts. Thunderbird has it's own search facility. Does
that work?

I am trying to narrow down the scope of your problem to be Mail.app only,
your account only or broader.

Have you run Diskutil and checked your disk and file permissions?

[In the 10+ years that I have spend my own money on Macs, I only had to
reinstall the OS once after some really weird things happened and
discussions with Apple support. I wish my Windows experience were so simple]

Regards,
Spencer